The Story of Gilgamesh
Location: Staircase Landing
The bas-relief depicts highlights from the legend of King
Gilgamesh of Sumeria, the oldest surviving epic poem. The
story of Gilgamesh and his adventures predates the invention
of writing. It was passed down through word-of-mouth until
around 2000 B.C. when the Sumerians, using cuneiform script,
recorded the epic on clay tablets.
Sculpted by Dallas Cole, the bas-relief was donated by
the Downers Grove Friends of the Library in honor of librarian
Frieda Humphris who worked at the Downers Grove Library
from 1925 to 1972. A familiar sight in the former library
building, it was refurbished, carefully removed, and transferred
to its current location in the new building.