Facts & Figures
The Downers Grove Public Library serves the information needs of the 47,833 residents of Downers Grove, Illinois. With almost 30,000 residents as library cardholders, our community really uses the library. In fact, last year, Downers Grove residents checked out an average of 32 items per person! Here are some significant numbers from the 2012 fiscal year:
|Number of visitors
|Reference questions answered
|New library patrons registered
|Summer Reading Club participants
|Attendance at library programs
The Ladies Library Association began a small reading
room above the Farmers and Merchants Bank on the northeast
corner of Main and Curtiss. In 1895, it held 600-700
Following a successful referendum for a tax-supported
library, a small frame building on the southwest corner
of Main and Curtiss became the library's second
home. Circulation in November, 1912, was 1,520.
With financial help from the Carnegie Foundation, a new
brick building on the corner of Forest and Curtiss
opened its doors. Total cost, $11,250.
To accommodate heavy usage by a booming population, a ‘wrap-around' addition
expanded the Carnegie building. Again, usage grew.
Following a 1975 referendum, the old library building
was razed and the collection moved to temporary quarters
just east of the library. In the fall of 1977, a new
40,000 square foot building opened. In 1983, the second
floor was completed, and the Reference Department moved
In 1996, residents approved an $8.2 million referendum
to build a new 67,738 sq. ft. library by reconstructing
and updating the library building and adding an addition.
The new building opened in February, 1999.