What is early literacy?
- Teaching children about reading and writing skills before they can actually read and write.
- Includes developing skills and reading components such as vocabulary, letter knowledge, print awareness, and more through five early literacy practices: singing, talking, reading, writing, and playing.
- Based off of the Every Child Ready to Read  2nd edition initiative.
How do we plan to further incorporate early literacy and emerging readers?
- Presenting a new Early Literacy Storytime .
- Adding more early literacy skills to current programming.
- Creating a continually-changing Early Literacy Center featuring games, puzzles, activities, and learning opportunities through play.
- Adding guided-leveled readers to our collection, in conjunction with the District 58 curriculum.
Early Literacy iPads and AWE Computers
Check out the new preschool computers in the Junior Room! These easy-to-use computers are filled with educational games on math, science, early literacy, and more. Engaging graphics and intuitive menus show kids how fun it is to learn!
Kids and parents can also check out iPads from the Junior Room service desk to play with in the library. These iPads are packed with fun and engaging apps designed for kids to have fun learning with their parents.