The Basic Skills Collection and Beyond
Downers Grove Public Library Materials for Adults Learning English
Expand your world with a wide variety of materials for adult learners of Basic English and adults learning English as a Second Language.
Books and Audios
Easy to read books in English on many subjects can be found upstairs in the Reference Department on the nonfiction shelves starting at the number 428.24. Look for the blue “Literacy” stickers on the books.
Basic Skills materials include:
• Reading, writing, and spelling
• Grammar, pronunciation, and American idioms
• American culture and holidays
• American government and citizenship
• Information and skill building for jobs, shopping, safety, and more
• Easy to read newspaper and adult fiction
Audio materials and books with audio are also shelved in this area. You can find audio materials on:
• Learning English
• Listening skills
• Improving pronunciation
• Building vocabulary
Other materials on English language skills, dictionaries of English and other languages, and study guides for the TOEFL are on the shelves to the right and left of the Basic Skills collection.
More books about U.S. Citizenship are shelved at the number 323.6.
DVDs and Videos
The library offers DVDs and videos for:
• Learning basic English
• Improving pronunciation and grammar skills
• Learning English for speakers of other languages
• Taking the TOEFL test
• U.S. Citizenship for English speakers and for speakers of other languages
The videos are shelved in the nonfiction video section located at the end of the books. Look for the call number Video 428.24. The DVDs are shelved in the nonfiction DVD section located after the videos. Look for the call number DVD 428.24.
Interactive CD-ROMs can be checked out for home computer use. You can find software for:
• Learning Basic English
• TOEFL test practice
• U.S. Citizenship test practice
The CD-ROM collection is located on the second floor in the Reference Department.
If you need help finding anything, please ask at the Reference Desk!
The Basic Skills Collection offers materials to help teach Literacy or ESL students. Many student books have accompanying tutor manuals. Look for the white and red “Tutor” stickers on the books intended for tutors.
There are private study rooms in the library that are available for tutoring and that can be booked ahead of time. A DVD/video viewer may also be booked ahead for tutoring.
We also offer these suggestions:
• Bring your students to the library.
• Help them get a library card at Downers Grove if they reside here, or at their home library if they do not live in Downers Grove. Library cards from most other area libraries can be used here also.
• Show your students the Basic Skills Collection and the locations of the DVD, video, and CD-ROM collections.
• Show them the Reference Desk and encourage them to ask questions there.
• Walk your students through the process of checking out materials. Explain how to renew and explain that books must be returned on time or fines are levied.
Please let us know what kinds of materials you would like the library to have. You can call the Reference Desk at any time for assistance or to offer suggestions. We are eager for your input.
In addition to loaning materials, the library also offers:
• Reference service in person, by telephone, by email, and by IM chat.
• Computers for the public with access to the Internet and Office products
• Classes for learning how to use computers and the Internet
• A typewriter for public use
• Online test practice for U.S. Citizenship, GED, and language skills available from home to Downers Grove cardholders
• Reading programs for adults and children
• Story times for children
• Audio listening station
• Community information bulletin boards
• Photocopy machines
• Voter registration
• Tax forms
• Adaptive viewing and listening machines for those with disabilities
Other Area Organizations
Literacy Volunteers of DuPage
Indian Prairie Public Library District Life Skills Collection and Programs
401 Plainfield Rd., Darien, IL 60561
Lisle Public Library District
Literacy Collection and Programs
777 Front St., Lisle, IL 60532
College of DuPage ABE/ESL Programs
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
Downers Grove Public Library
1050 Curtiss Street
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Prepared by Bonnie Reid, March 2008