Checkout, Renew, & Reserve Materials
Library Card Applications
If you already have a Downers Grove Public Library card and need to update your personal information, replace your existing card, or renew your expired card, you must do this in person at the library's Circulation Desk.
Residents of Downers Grove may register online for a library card.
You will receive a temporary library card number that expires in 14 days.
- You can use the temporary card number to create an account to place holds on up to 3 items.
- You must visit the library in 14 days to complete the registration process and receive a permanent library card number.
- When you pick up your library card you must show one form of identification with your current Downers Grove address listed. We will accept parent’s identification for minor children. Form of identification may be:
- Driver’s License or State ID
- Current utility bill, bank statement, pre-printed checks, mortgage or lease with your name and current address
- A piece of first-class mail with your name and a current postmark
- Parents/guardians must sign for minor children under the age of 18.
- Information for parents about internet use by minors can be obtained at the Circulation Desk.
Permanent library cards issued to residents of Downers Grove are honored by members of the Metropolitan Library System and many other Illinois public libraries.